Brandon
Brandon never had a post office, which means it was never officially a town, which means it exists in the historical record as a kind of legal ghost even before it became a physical one. A couple of miles east of the village of Sheridan, in the foothills of the Tobacco Root range, the pavement ends at the site of a once-busy mining district that operated through three separate booms and never quite achieved the permanence that a post office would have conferred. The miners who worked the Toledo, the Tamarack, and the Emma B knew what they had; they even put Brandon up for consideration as the territorial capital in 1874, reportedly losing to Helena by a single vote. Whether that story is true or apocryphal, it captures something real about the ambitions that the men of Brandon carried into the Tobacco Root foothills and the gap between those ambitions and what the ground delivered in the end.
History
The Brandon district opened in 1864, when prospectors working outward from the Alder Gulch rush found gold along Mill Creek in the foothills of the Tobacco Root Mountains. The discovery was real enough to sustain a camp, and within a year the Toledo mine, originally called the Toleda, the Tamarack, and a score of other properties were in operation. Prosperity came quickly enough to justify the construction of the twelve-stamp Brandon Mill in 1865, a significant investment that signaled confidence in the district's future.
The camp that grew up around the mill had the character of a working mining community rather than a boom town. At its peak, Brandon supported a boardinghouse, two blacksmith shops, several saloons, and a population of about three hundred people. It went through three distinct mining booms over the course of its active life, each separated by periods of reduced activity when the accessible ore ran out and operators waited for new investment or new technology to make the deeper ground workable. The absence of a post office kept Brandon off the official map, but it did not prevent the camp from functioning as a real community for the men who lived and worked there.
The story of the territorial capital vote in 1874 is one of the more charming pieces of Montana mining folklore. When territorial officials held a plebiscite to move the capital from Virginia City, the citizens of Brandon reportedly put their town up for consideration, more as a lark than a serious proposal. The story holds that when the ballots were counted, Brandon lost to Helena by one vote. The anecdote may be embellished, but it reflects the confidence that the men of Brandon had in their camp's prospects and the competitive spirit that characterized every mining community in the territory.
The district's third chapter began in 1896, when brothers John and Tom Cavanaugh and James McDonnell filed a claim in the district and managed to sink an eighteen-foot shaft before selling the property to a Dr. Edgar Fletcher, who named it the Emma B after his wife. Fletcher was a more ambitious operator than his predecessors. By 1904 he had installed a hydroelectric plant on Mill Creek, supplying electric power to his mine and the small mill he built alongside it. The claim changed hands the following year, and Fletcher faded from the district's history.
The final chapter of Brandon's mining story belongs to Alex Walker of Butte, who in 1929 either bought or jumped the Emma B claim and registered it under his existing Smuggler Mining Company. In the February 5, 1931, issue of Mining Truth magazine, Walker ran an advertisement seeking investors in the reclaimed property. He installed a telephone line, a flotation mill, additional machinery, a heavier hoist, and a pumping plant, and sank the shaft to approximately five hundred feet. Because of the remote location, by October 1931 Walker had established a permanent camp of about thirty log cabins for his miners and mill workers, a settlement that acquired the informal name Smuggler City. Walker made a fair profit in the first half of the 1930s, and the mine produced ore until the latter half of the decade, when it was finally abandoned.
The Emma B and Smuggler City represent the last productive phase of a district that had been worked, in one form or another, for more than seventy years. The men who built those thirty log cabins up the gulch from the original Brandon site were working the same ground that the first prospectors had tested in 1864, using technology that would have been unrecognizable to those earlier miners but pursuing the same fundamental goal.
The broader context of the Brandon district is the Madison County mining landscape of the 1860s and 1870s, a period when dozens of small camps competed for miners, investment, and recognition across the valleys and foothills of southwestern Montana. Brandon's position in that landscape was modest but real: it was close enough to Alder Gulch to benefit from the infrastructure and population that the great rush had created, far enough away to have its own identity and its own history. The Tobacco Root Mountains that surrounded the district were not the richest range in Montana, but they were productive enough to sustain working camps at Brandon, Rochester, Sterling, and Pony for decades, and the men who worked those camps contributed to the broader economy of the Madison Valley in ways that the historical record has only partially captured.
What Remains Today
The Brandon town site today is occupied by ranches and vacation homes, with little remaining of the original mining-era structures. North of the site, the scars from the abandoned Tamarack and Toledo mines are visible on the hillsides. Seven miles of dirt road farther up the gulch, the Smuggler City site retains about a dozen of Alex Walker's abandoned, dilapidated log buildings from the 1930s, a more substantial physical record than the original Brandon site offers.
Visiting
Brandon is located approximately two miles east of Sheridan, Montana, in Madison County, accessible via secondary roads from Sheridan. The pavement ends at the Brandon site; the road to Smuggler City is a dirt track requiring a high-clearance vehicle. Sheridan, the nearest service center, is a small town on Montana Highway 287 approximately twenty-five miles north of Twin Bridges. The Tobacco Root Mountains offer hiking and backcountry access in the summer months, and the Madison Valley corridor connecting Sheridan to Virginia City and Nevada City is one of the more historically rich routes in southwestern Montana.
